Jama Masjid Ahmedabad
Jama Masjid Ahmedabad is also called Jama Masjid and Jumma Masjid. It is a magnificent mosque which was the largest mosque of the western region of its time. This mosque situated is in the middle of Teen Darwaza and Manek Chowk. The city of Ahmedabad is adorned with a beautiful mosque and sometimes it is also called Friday Mosque.
History of Jami Masjid
Jami Masjid is the largest mosque in Ahmedabad. Ahmed Saha 1 established the foundation of the walled city On 24th February in 1411. The construction of Jama Masjid with Bhadra Fort, Manek Burj, Shahi Masjid also started in 1411. it took 13 years to build this mosque. This mosque was completed in 1424 AD, it was built outside the Bhadra Fort.
There are three portico-type entrances to this mosque which is east, north, and south, and the Prayer Hall in the west. This mosque is made of yellow sandstone. This mosque is 75 meters long and 66 meters wide in a rectangular shape. There is a rectangular basin in the center of this mosque which water is used to wash hands and feet before the prayer. This mosque has a corridor on three sides and on the wall a holy word written in the Arabic language.
This mosque used to have two main minarets collapsed in the 1819 earthquake. But their lower portions still stand. The main prayer hall has over 260 columns supporting the roof, with its 15 domes
The lotus flower is beautifully carved above the minar. This mosque looks at the Hindu Muslim architecture. There are more than 260 pillars inside the main prayer hall. This prayer hall has 15 small domes and a very beautiful prominent dome in the center. The west side of the mosque there is Ahmed Shah Tomb
The west of the mosque are the tombs of Ahmed Shah I, his son and his grandson, Ahmed Shah`s Tomb. As well as Nearby are the graves of the queens and the other wives of the king, Rani no Hajiro.
Check on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram